Sunday, October 4, 2009

Black Box Kitchen

Over a year ago, with the support of my wife I fulfilled one of my lifelong dreams and opened Santé Restaurant & Charcuterie.  Originally we set out to provide good food for our family and friends, in the hopes to share my cooking philosophy and help inspire better eating habits in the community.  It quickly evolved into something much bigger; a sort of platform for us to advocate a local, healthy (which Santé is french for), ethical lifestyle. There are many reasons I have started this blog, one of which is to share my thoughts and journeys related to food and cooking.  I also hope to spread my beliefs and passion with anyone who is interested in the importance of localism, sustainability and eating seasonally.  Other topics will include restaurant reviews, local farmers, cooking techniques, food books, food photography, local events, Q & A's on food related topics, sharing recipes, new restaurant openings and of course the Black Box Kitchen.

Black Box Kitchen: The Black Box Kitchen is to me a way of life.  It's not just being a chef, it's having the passion for cooking and all that surrounds it.  It's finding local ingredients and using them in multiple ways in revolving and evolving menus.  Many culinarians know the Black Box to be a final exam in which they have an hour to create a menu from random (aka blind) ingredients selected by the instructor. This requires a test of technique, skill, and flavor balance by incorporating ones individual cooking style.  By using the twelve seasons to develop my menu is the Black Box approach in my kitchen- not just using what food purveyors or myself can find on the market.  Its all about the season, being local, sustainable, and fresh by cooking with high standards and taking the time to use proper techniques and developing my own.  

I appreciate anyone who is interested and takes time to read this, and encourage any questions you may have. I look forward sharing more of my culinary journey with you. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your passion and commitment to local sustainability. The decisions you have made in running your restaurant during the last year speak highly of your ideals. I look forward to reading your blog and continuing with you on your culinary journey and discovering the joys of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're writing about your passion! I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should blog more about your beautiful wife...what? it's just a comment! Keep the genius rants coming & find inspiration in every day things, so far so good my love

    ReplyDelete