Monday, October 26, 2009

Culinary Institute of America Day 1












For being recognized as the most preeminent culinary school in the world, you would think that would be an overstatement like most things that are dubbed as the best. The CIA proved to me today that their title has been earned. The clean, groomed and well cared for campus is as beautiful as you could imagine. Our first day in class and Tobin and I are the team of two from the west. Our first project is tête pressee and sulze which are both a form of head cheese. Two pig heads were given to us to take across campus to slice in half so we could discard the brains. We decided to pan fry and eat "yum brains".  We also made beef jerky and Kansas City Spareribs. Our instructor was as pro as they come with a wealth of knowledge. The day went great with a three course meal: Italian sausage risotto, salmon w/beurre rouge  and cheese cake. All & all the day was great with 4 more to come. 

2 comments:

  1. I ate at Sante for the first time last weekend and WOW! I did not know that Spokane would have such a grand offering. I heard that Sante was good, but I thought Spokane good, I was blown away. Sante would be a success in any major food scene, Delicious and delightful.

    I also appreciate that the staff was pleasant, smiling and approachable.

    Kudos to you for continuing to educate yourselves and improve your craft.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are on the same road you started down at Sante with head cheese Jeremy. I am sure there will be many more lessons to master before you are done with this week.

    ReplyDelete